CarSim delivers the most accurate, detailed, and efficient methods for simulating the performance of passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks. With twenty years of real-world validation by automotive engineers, CarSim is universally the preferred tool for analyzing vehicle dynamics, developing active controllers, calculating a car’s performance characteristics, and engineering next-generation active safety systems.
Current version: 9.0.3
CarSim, TruckSim, and BikeSim are used worldwide by over 110 OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers and over 200 universities and government research labs. (There are more than 1500 active CarSim seats, not including driving simulators or students). Here are some reasons why so many engineers have selected CarSim:
- CarSim is used extensively by 7 of the 10 largest automotive OEMs. OEM users consistently find close agreement between CarSim predictions and test results.
- CarSim is a standalone application. It does not require any other software to perform simulations.
- CarSim has a standard interface to MATLAB/Simulink.
- CarSim allows users to build complex scenarios and test event sequences.
- CarSim supports:
- CarSim has an intuitive user interface and powerful analysis tools (see the linked video series in the sidebar).
- CarSim supports vehicle sensors and interactive traffic for V2V and ADAS development.
- CarSim includes numerous example vehicles, roads, and procedures to assist first-time users.
- CarSim includes over 1900 pages of indexed documentation covering all aspects of the software.
- CarSim includes example datasets for 20 vehicle types (with about 80 variants in total), used in about 200 example simulations.
- CarSim is economical in comparison to other commercial vehicle dynamics software tools.
CarSim, BikeSim, and TruckSim all use technology first introduced in 1990 and developed continuously since then. Efficient parametric math models reproduce system-level vehicle dynamics behavior, under the control of a GUI intended for engineers who need to evaluate vehicle/controller behavior without spending weeks of training. VehicleSim products also include the VS Visualizer tool for viewing simulations with plots and photo-realistic animation.
In addition to the built-in capabilities of the CarSim models, the VehicleSim software tools include methods to extend the capabilities with user-defined programs and/or connections to third-party software:
- Commercial simulation environments Simulink (the MathWorks), LabVIEW (National Instruments), and ASCET (ETAS).
- VS Commands (the built-in scripting language).
- Run with custom programs (MATLAB, Visual Basic, C/C++) using VS API (application program interface).
- Run with remote control via Windows COM.
- Support of HIL (hardware in the loop) testing on major RT (real time) platforms.
- Support of driving simulators that use CarSim as the RT vehicle math model.
See the links in the sidebar for more information about the technology and simulation features available in CarSim.
PDF DocumentsCarSim Brochure
CarSim Math Models
New CarSim Features
QuadDS and HexDS Driving Simulators
3D Animator Shapes for CarSim
3D Common Animator Shapes
System and Software Compatibility
VS Vehicle Model FeaturesPaths and Roads
Traffic, Target Objects, and Sensors
Core VehicleSim TechnologyEasiest to Use: GUI and Database
Fast and Parametric: Math Model Solvers
Viewing Results: Animation and Plotting
Advanced ApplicationsSimulink, LabVIEW, and ASCET
Automation and COM
Real-Time OptionsReal-Time HIL Testing